Home maintenance is one of those ongoing projects that is critical to maintaining the value of your property. Cleaning the gutters and weeding the garden are tasks that come with regular, visible reminders. But how do you keep up with other necessary maintenance that might not be as noticeable?
Here are some essential home maintenance tasks that are often overlooked.
Appliances: If you want your fridge, dryer and other appliances to last you for the long haul with fewer repair calls, they need regular care and tuneups:
- Change and clean the refrigerator drip pan
- Wash your dryer lint screen and check below it for any fallen lint
- Clean the condenser coils on your refrigerator – This is easiest with the brush attachment on your vacuum.
- Change the water filter on your ice maker
HVAC Systems: Your heating, cooling and ventilation systems need consistent upkeep for better performance, which can help keep your energy bills lower throughout the year:
- Clean the ducts and vents
- Clean or change your AC filters
- Replace worn weatherstripping to help keep cool air in
- Test your thermostat to ensure it’s sending a signal
Plumbing: Snaking the drain for a few hair clogs isn’t enough to keep your plumbing system in working order. Be sure to also take care of these things:
- Flush the water heater
- Check your pipes for leaks
- Test the water pressure on your sprinkler system
- Check water levels on boilers
Safety Systems: To ensure your loved ones and belongings are safe in the home, do the following:
- Replace the batteries in your smoke detectors
- Test your smoke and carbon monoxide detectors
- Test your security alarms and codes
- Inspect your fence or gate for holes or vulnerabilities
Keep this home maintenance checklist handy and run through it every few months to keep your home in top condition and your loved ones safe. Get in touch today if you’d like to talk about other ways you can help safeguard your investment.
If you’re unsure of how to do these home maintenance tasks, feel free to call us for tips, a referral to a qualified professional or you can do like we do, Google it and most likely there’s a how to video on YouTube.